Monday, August 7, 2017

Assassin's Den Reviews Funimation's Dragon Ball Super: Resurrection F arc

Welcome back, my beautiful freaks, to the Assassin's Den!

Now, I know it's been a while since I've covered Dragon Ball Super, but I've figured out the best way to get through it; 4-5 episodes at a time, and then, another 4-5 episodes a few days later until I've gotten through the arc.  In short, pretty much how I used to do it when I was buying DBZ on DVD.

And I've got to say that Funimation's dub is superb, as always. Christopher Sabat's rendition of Vegata and Piccolo are great, as always, but it's Sean Schemmel's performance of Goku that's got me hooked. As many of you know, in the original Funimation dub, we didn't get many "Goku acting like a dumbass" moments due to the nature of both the dub at the time, and the fact that the Toei pushed the "Goku's the big hero" thing back then as well.  But, since Akira Toriyama is heavily involved in the production of Super, we're seeing a LOT more of the character that he sees Goku to be, and Sean Schemmel has really done a good job at showing the aspects of Goku that we've barely seen before in his performance.

As for the arc itself?  I enjoyed it MUCH better than the BoG arc.  Better pacing, better comedy, better villain.  I was perfectly happy to see Beerus sit on the sidelines, either sleeping, or eating ice cream in the last couple of episodes, staying out of the focus of the series.

And even though I first heard him doing the character in Xenoverse, Christopher Ayres' performance as Freeza was very welcome.  I may have grown up with Linda Young's Freeza voice, but Chris Ayres' performance suites the character FAR better than Linda's did.  So arrogant and cruel and vicious.  I'm actually looking forward to hearing his performance again when Funimation gets to the Universal Survival arc in a couple of years.  

Now, the form of the arc; Super Saiyan Blue.  I like this FAR more than Super Saiyan God, and it fits the characters who achieved it FAR better than SSG did.  Goku and Vegeta achieved it on their own, through their own effort, and that's something that a Saiyan can be proud of.  

However, unlike the SSG form, we don't really have an explanation on how they got it.  We got an explanation of what it is; a Super Saiyan form of Super Saiyan God, which is why Xenoverse 1 and 2 translated it as "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan".  We know that it's not rage powered, so it's not burning through ki just to get it to work.  And since it's not rage powered...well, the next arc illustrates what we'll be getting.

Anyway, this arc is actually making me look forward to seeing the Universe 6 arc, something that, after the BoG arc, I wasn't expecting.  And, thanks to MasakoX, I'm well aware of the disappointment with certain arcs in the future, so my expectations are set at an appropriate level.  Look forward to my review of the Universe 6 arcs in a couple months, and for now, stay beautiful freaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment