Thursday, August 24, 2017

Assassin's Den Reviews: Crisis on Umbara

Welcome back, my beautiful freaks, to the Assassin's Den!

So, today, SWTOR Version 5.4 dropped today, and I'm going to talk about the Flashpoint.

I'll start with the mechanics.  You start on top of a train, fighting your way through a combination of Umbarans, who seem to use the Rattataki models, but without the head tattoos, and either Republic or Empire forces. Eventually, the traitor reveals himself (yes, it's a him. The woman most of us who THOUGHT was the traitor on Iokath is not the traitor, but they do work with him), and crashes the train, forcing you to fight through the forces you were fighting before and the wildlife, and face off against a couple bosses before the flashpoint ends.

Now, there's a boss fight that's currently bugged.  While still on the train, you fight a pair of Umbarans, as well as a bunch of spawning turrets. The fight has a Technician, and a Shadow Assassin.  But if you kill the wrong one first, the fight respawns.  You have to kill the Shadow Assassin first, or the quest completely resets.

But now, it's time to take the cat out of the bag and reveal the traitor; Theron Shan.  Now, I ran this flashpoint twice today, before going on to finish up my Hand of Jadus playthrough; with my LSM Guardian Ragdat, and my DSF Marauder Yokonari, who romanced both Quinn WAY back in the day, and Theron.  So, in a very literal sense, both men she fell in love with betrayed her and broke her heart.  (Yes, I know her story in my storyline said that she didn't romance either, but how I do her in game and how I write her don't have to be the same.)  Ragdat sided with the Republic on Iokath, and Yokonari was the only character to side with the Empire, so I got to see the differences between faction choices, as well as having read Theron's letters in the datamine before.  So, here's my thoughts on the storyline.

Honestly, Theron's betrayal of a LS character makes as much sense as what happened to the Inquisition at the end of DAI's Tresspasser DLC.  It feels forced based on the personality of the PC.  DS, however? Spot on.  Theron says that he wants an end to all the conflict, and a DS character is doing exactly the opposite.

Now, I'm going to be honest, I'm kind of happy this is pissing people off so much; not only is it within his character (he pretty much WAS the DS option in Shadow of Revan, after all, even though he supposedly mellowed between SoR and KOTFE), but it subverted expectations.  Everyone was guessing women based on the female figure at the end of Iokath, from Kira to Satele Shan to Shae Vizla to Hylo Visz, and nobody guessed a man due to the misdirection. 

The best part? The betrayal was foreshadowed WAY back in October 2015; Valkorian mentioned a traitor in KOTFE Ch9, after talking to Senya.  That led me to believe that the traitor had to be someone who was there from the start, and someone who didn't die over the course of the game.  That meant Theron, Tora, Lana (who, despite being Sith, is the most loyal of them all), Sana Rae, Bewyan Aygo, Hylo Visz, and Dr. Oggurobb.  And only one of them who has the skill and experience to pull it off for all this time.

As for Theron's final letter, here's how it works; you get one letter based on alignment (LS or DS), and a letter to his lover, which is overridden by the DS letter if you place a bounty on his head.  You also get a letter from your romance, and I'm looking forward to seeing the letters from Jorgan, Dorne, Lana, Vette, and the eventual romanced letter from Theron to Baste'mer'ioz, whom I did an LS romance with Theron.

Anyway, check out my referral link if you play, check out my twitter, and stay beautiful freaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment