Monday, June 18, 2012

Tips for dealing with telemarketers

Okay, since I have the misfortune of working in the telemarketing industry, I have a few tips for when dealing with people who do what I do.

  1. Please don't yell at me.  I don't want to call you anymore than you want to be called by me.  In fact, I don't want to call you at all; because I get yelled at several times a day.  I know I'm calling you at home; I'm sorry.  But I'm just trying to make a living, so please show a little politeness while I am trying to make a living.
  2. If I ask for confirmation of your identity, please say yes or no, that is or is not you.  If you don't, you're getting called back the next day.  And the next day. And the next day, and so on, if you keep doing it.
  3. If you hang up on me when I'm introducing myself or the organization I represent, you're getting called back.  I don't have a choice, I have to.  I don't want to call you back, but I have to.
  4. If I've called the wrong number, please, just tell me so.  You don't need to yell at me; I have no control over where I'm calling.  I'm calling from an autodialer, and I have no control over who I am calling.
  5. If I call at a bad time, I'm sorry.  I have no control over when I'm calling; if the autodialer called you, I have to talk to you.
  6. I'm calling from an autodialer; I have no control over who or when I'm calling.  Please, be pleasant.  I am trying to make a living, same as you.
Now, how to get rid of us.

  1. If I have reached the person I am looking for, just listen to my pitch.  Let me do my job, and just say no.  I will let you go.  Just be nice, let me talk, and we can both get on with your day.
  2. If you don't want to be called again, say "please, take me off your list". It's that simple to make sure we don't call again.
  3. If you no longer make any financial decisions, let me know that after I introduce myself.  That gets things done quickly.
  4. If you are a caretaker, tell me that you are the caretaker of the person I am looking for.  This ends the call right there.
  5. If you or the person on record is in an nursing or assisted living home, tell me.  That ends the call right there.

That's it.  Be pleasant, be civil, and it will make all our lives a LOT better.  Thank you, and have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment