Wednesday, September 4, 2019

"How to make a good superhero game": Characters that won't be covered

Welcome back, my beautiful freaks, to Sean's Workshop!

Today, I'm going to talk about which characters archetypes I'm not going to cover, and why. The list will be simple, with a short explanation afterward.

Superboy and Supergirl- This one's pretty simple in that I've already covered how to do it in my one on Superman. Just take the same power set and follow the same rules as I set forth for Superman.

Other Lantern Corps- For pretty much the same reason as the Superman one, but with one exception; the Green Lantern one already has the other Corps built into it via the multiplayer.

Member of the Bat family- Batman already has a very good series of through the Arkham series.  Just take what makes those good and apply them to the other members of the Bat family.

Non-powered or low powered martial arts characters- These games could work as "Batman, but without...". So someone like Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Electra, Daredevil, Captain America, Black Panther and Iron Fist, they could all could function on the Batman Arkham in terms of combat and exploration.

Spider-Man- Spider-man has had good games since the Spider-Man 2 based on the Sam Raimi movie, and continues to do so to this day. No need for me to analyze him.

Deadpool- I don't like him, but I hear his game is good anyway, so whatever.

Gadget Heroes- If they're not Batman level in terms of gadgets, they're either one trick ponies or not well known enough for people to care.

Team based heroes- Teams like the Avengers, X-men, Justice League and others are a little outside this focus, since it would require me to analyze multiple characters, instead of just one.

Wolverine and his offspring- James Howlett has a great game from 2009. Copy that combat engine with a new story, and you're gold.

Now, that's not to say that there won't be exceptions; I've got some really good ideas for Harley Quinn and Gwenpool that would be perfect for this kind of analysis paper, and if I or my twitter followers come up with some good ideas for these kind of characters, I'll cover them, but for now, this is a great master list on what I will not be doing.

So until next time, stay beautiful freaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment